UPSC SYLLABUS FOR PAPER I – (200 MARKS) DURATION: TWO HOURS (COUNTED FOR THE MERIT RANK IN THE PRELIMS)
Current Events of National and International Importance
For this topic, you have to follow any standard newspaper, such as The Hindu, Indian Express or Times of India. If you don’t have access to the newspaper you can also follow their web site and be updated. If you are confused with the topics and don’t know what to choose and how to choose than simply download this compilation of National & International Events. This should give you a brief idea about the topic.
For Editorials, you should follow the Columns of C.Rajamohan, Brahma Challaney, Mihir Sharma, T.A.Ninan, Ashutosh Varshney, Shashi Tharoor, Srinath Raghavan, P.Sainath, Suhasini Haidar
History Of India And Indian National Movement
History of India is a broad term, which means you have to cover Ancient, Medieval and Modern Indian History. Indian national Movement is also the part of Modern Indian History. It also includes the culture and Society. For this, we have suggested 4 must have books.
- India’s Ancient Past by RS Sharma – Very good book for ancient India portion UPSC prelims. It’s basically upgraded old NCERT BOOK OF 11th which is discontinued.also many relevant questions (at chapter end) which were there in old ncert were removed. It Completely replaces the need to buy old Ncert.
- A brief History of Modern India (Rajiv Ahir I.P.S ) – This is the best book for modern Indian history, Small in size, and Made only from UPSC point of view.
- History of Medieval India – This is one of the worth reading books…. Highly recommend for the students preparing for competitive exams.
- Facets of Indian Culture – This Book Is ‘One Stop Solution’ For Indian Culture, Language, Art & Literature. This Book Is Of Great Help To Candidates Of Every Competitive Examination Whether It’s UPSC Or State PSC.
Indian And World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography Of India And The World
We think this one is simple to understand because syllabus has clearly mentioned the three important branches of both India and world Geography. Apart from NCERT Books here, we have suggested 2 must have books.
- Wizard Geography – The best part of this book: it is so concise yet so complete and yeah, it is better than any Geography notes in the Rajendra Nagar/ Mukherjee Nagar market of Delhi. All the relevant facts, terms, data, concepts are summarised in an easy-to-remember format and this is indeed its forte. You just remember the contents you’ve read this book and that’s what needed in CSE Prelims. Don’t expect anything extra (like – conceptual clarity, pretty diagrams, etc – you’ll have to refer other books for them) and you’ll be satisfied.
- Certificate of P & M Geo – It’s an outdated book, with useful information. The reason for recommending this books for IAS Prelims is the foundation which it will provide. It’s up to you that how you are going to use it because information is both factual and conceptual.
Indian Polity And Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, Etc.
For this you need to focus on two things, first one is the static portion of Indian Polity and Governance, which can be covered with the help of books, which we have mentioned below. The second source will be current affairs for covering schemes, Policy & other Stuff. Here Also 2 books are needed for preparation.
- Indian Polity 5th Edition – The book itself needs no introduction. It is one of the most popular and comprehensive books on the subject and has been a consistent bestseller for many years. The 5th Edition boasts off few important new topics and existing content has been upgraded.
- Our Constitution – The book, ‘Our Constitution’ by Subhash C. Kashyap is a book that gives the readers an ideal introduction to the Indian Constitution. It is written in such a format that readers from all backgrounds will be able to understand the concepts effectively.
Economic And Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, Etc.
This topic can be covered with the help of NCERT books for Economics, reference books on economic and Current Affairs.
- NCERT Books – Download these books for clearing the concepts.
- Current Affairs – For this section, you need to follow news based on economic and social development. You should also focus on recent initiatives taken by the government. We have also compiled this magazine to cover up this section.
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh – Topics are well designed to cover the entire UPSC syllabus. Nowadays UPSC doesn’t ask direct questions but indirect ones…this book is fit for it.
General Issues On Environmental Ecology, Bio-Diversity, And Climate Change - That Do Not Require Subject Specialization.
For this section current affairs are really important, you have to pick up the popular and trending issues related to this topic from newspaper and work on those concepts. For covering those concepts and static portion NIOS materials will be really helpful.
You may also follow these books to cover the static portion of the syllabus.
1. Environment By Shankar Ias Academy.
This is highly recommended book by IAS Toppers and also many coaching institutes. You should buy this book without thinking twice.
Key Highlights :
This book follows the paper pattern and syllabus given by Union Public Service commission which conducts these examinations. The language of the book is simple and the content is engaging which ensures students face no trouble during studying. Plus the distinctive designing makes it easy to navigate and read. This bestseller book has sold over 30, 000 copies and is widely read by students.
So it’s the best source for preparation along with the current portion of environment and ecology. You will be fully satisfied.
2. Environment And Ecology - A Complete Guide (Civil Services (Preliminary And Main) Examinations).
This is one of the popular books among aspirant, and with good reviews on Amazon. The author had compiled this book by keeping in mind the syllabus and need of UPSC Exam.
Key Highlights :
Chapters based on an analysis of all the environment-related questions in the Preliminary and Main Examinations from 1987 to 2015. Current affairs and recent developments related to Environment and Ecology. Answers to the questions of the Preliminary Examination from the year 1987 to 2015, with comments where necessary. Model answers for the 2014 and 2015 questions.
So it should be your second choice if you are planning to buy environment and ecology book for UPSC Civil Services Examination.
3. Environment For Civil Services Prelims And Mains And Other Competitive Examinations
This book is also helpful for other competitive examination apart from UPSC. This book is a guide for the students who want to improve their environment, ecology and biodiversity knowledge.
Key Highlights :
Various aspects of the subject of environment and ecology have been approached in an easy and concise manner. The book covers all that you need to study for the civil services examination in this subject. However, it has been designed in a way to be useful for other students as well who are not preparing for the UPSC exams. The content has been divided into broad chapters, namely- Environment–General Issues, Ecology, Ecosystem, Biodiversity, Pollution, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Climate Change and Sustainable Management and Sustainable Development.
For this portion again two sources are really important. First, one is NCERT books on Science & Tech and second on is Current Affairs. NCERT books will clear your basic concepts which you have already learned in the school. Current topics of science and tech will keep you updated with the happenings, which is really important for the examination.